Saturday, February 18, 2017

Got A “D” On My Review - Now Think On This by Steve Martin


Got A “D” On My Review

Now Think On This
Steve Martin


“Speak up, judge righteously, defend the cause of the poor and the needy.” (Proverbs 31:9, Complete Jewish Bible)


It certainly wasn’t the best of weeks. My wife and I spent a lot of time sitting in the hospital as one son went through two surgeries, for internal bleeding and fractured vertebrae, after a horrific car accident. That in itself wore us out. (You can read more in my message, The What Ifs).

And then after the postponement four times in much the same time period, my mid-year work review finally happened. I had had some concerns going into it, and had hoped it would just get over.

I normally am not concerned about the regular six month review process. Having been a good employee for much of my life, I generally got high marks, and was considered a valuable worker. But this time I wasn’t so sure, as I was aware of a few mistakes in my accounting job I had made in the last six months. The world hadn’t come to an end over them, nor would it, but being my boss is very good at catching, and pointing out, every error made on my part, I had some trepidation what would be said and written.

And there it was. On the 2nd page of the three page printed document, was a “D” in one area. I can’t ever remember getting a “D” in my life. I was almost always a straight “A” student throughout my educational years, and it regularly showed on other job reviews these many decades. But I had never imagined I would get a “D” on a work review.

The two mistakes pointed out were easily fixable, and had been already. And they hadn’t cost the company money either. But in their opinion, I needed to again be reminded of them (having happened a few months ago) and it would be noted on this permanent review.

After the half hour was over, I signed the paper and left their office, not quite on the happy note I usually experienced. I do take “pride” in doing a good job, and want to excel in my position for the company’s sake. But this set me back emotionally. Throughout the night it would not leave my mind.

The next day in our daily office meeting, after going over current accounting work, I brought it up to my boss. I said I had never received a “D” in my life, and pointed out that these two mistakes did not warrant that low grade. I had other objections to share, which I did, and awaited the response. The “D” was changed to a “C” on the review.

My boss afterward said they were questioning why I hadn’t said anything during the review the day before, and also said it was the COO who was the one who had made my boss change it from the original “C” to the “D” in this category. But she was willing to change it back, and didn’t want me to feel that my work was on a “D” level. (My overall review was 3.7 out of 5. I was also told that the company policy had changed, dropping everyone basically a full point on their reviews. Now it would be rare if anyone would get a 5 (“A”) anymore in any category, as no one was thought able to reach perfection. How encouraging is that?! On my previous year-end review I had gotten a 4.6 out of 5.)

I don’t have any big spiritual advice or wisdom to share with you at this point. Just maybe the Lord wanted me to say something that in this matter seemed unjust. Certainly there are far more greater situations happening in the world that are of far more of concern that this, like speaking for the unborn or those who are continually mistreated and misjudged. Of those important concerns I will certainly keep speaking up.

Now think on this,

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People, Inc.


P.S. I would be most grateful if you'd share this encouraging word with your family and friends. They might need it. You can easily use the social media icons below. Thanks! Steve

We are blessed when the ministry receives gifts to support the families that we do, primarily in Israel, Hungary, India, Pakistan and the hurting ones here in the USA. You also can share out of the abundance you have been given.

Love For His People, Inc. is a charitable, not-for-profit USA humanitarian organization started in 2010 to share the love of the Father in the nations.

If these messages minister to you, please consider sending a charitable gift of $5-$25 today, and maybe each month, to help us bless families we know in Israel, whom we consistently help through our humanitarian ministry. Your tax deductible contributions receive a receipt for each donation. Fed. ID #27-1633858.

Click here for safe ONLINE GIFT GIVING THROUGH OUR WEBSITE using major credit cards: Love For His People. If you don't have a PayPal account you can also use your credit card or bank account (where available). 

Contribution checks can be sent to: 
Love For His People, Inc.  P.O. Box414   Pineville, NC 28134

Todah rabah! (Hebrew – Thank you very much.)
Please share Now Think On This with your friends.

Email: loveforhispeople@gmail.com  
martinlighthouse@gmail.com

Facebook pages: Steve Martin and  Love For His People  
Twitter: martinlighthous, LovingHisPeople 

Full website: Love For His People

Now Think On This - In the Year of our Lord 02.12.17 - #275 –“Got A “D” On My Review” – Sunday 2:30 pm

All previous editions of Now Think On This can be found on this Blog, and on the website: Now Think On This



Again, I would be most grateful if you'd share this encouraging word with your family and friends. You can easily use the social media icons below. Thanks! Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment